Thursday, May 5, 2011

Spelt is a Wonderful Thing

I tried a new recipe last night - it's a hit!

I have been reading up a bit on spelt, and it's nutritional value. Normally, I try to stick to sprouted grains (and I'm sure you could substitute any variety of sprouted grains in this recipe) but curiosity got the best of me; last night I bought some spelt flour and made muffins!

We can't all be perfect right?

They are delicious! And as an added boost, my picky toddler loved them as well (and I'm sure you will too!). Also, a great thing about this flour is that the majority of people with wheat allergies have no problem consuming spelt. The flavor is not as heavy as whole wheat, but the texture is just a bit denser.

Okay okay, enough right? What you're here for is the recipe! The base for this recipe is the one on the Bob's Red Mill spelt flour package, but I altered a few things for delicousness factor!

Walnut Spelt Muffins
makes 12

2 1/4 cups spelt flour
1/4 c raw honey (Bob's Red Mill uses brown sugar)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 c milk (I use raw, even though it loses the health benefits in cooking, it doesn't lose the environmentally-friendly benefits *smile* )
3 eggs, beaten (I use pastured)
1 Tbsp coconut oil (I use unrefined, it's solid, you'll want to warm it so it mixes evenly. Bob's Red Mill uses vegetable oil, which I am against. Also, the coconut oil does give it a bit of a nice flavor)
1 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat the oven to 425, and line or grease muffin tin

2. Mix together the flour and baking powder (and brown sugar if you are using this instead of honey).

3. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, oil, honey and walnuts.

4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mix just enough to moisten everything.

5. Fill muffin tin so that each cup is just 2/3 full. Bake for 17 minutes.

* These would be great with berries, cacao nibs, or coconut flakes as well!

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious about spelt now... I'm going to have to give this try. Especially seeing as your toddler didn't refuse!

    So you know, I'm newly following via the "I Heart Maternity" site. If you are interested, I'm also hosting my first link-up starting tonight, The Sundae Hop. I'd love for you join in!

    Oh, and Happy Mother's Day!

    Baby Talk without the Babble

    ReplyDelete